Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Drift Assessment

First of all I would like to say I had fun doing my drift one, it was interesting, and I ended up liking some of the sounds I experienced while on my walk. The first situation that bugged me on during my drift one was finding sounds that interested me. I have multiple recordings that were just to blah, and did not use them. I liked my sounds being very crisp and clean and some of them didn't have this quality. The second thing is something that shocked me. When Glen mentioned in class that u were going to need hours of recording i was shocked, i thought to myself why am i going to need hours of recording for 5 minute or less clips. He's right though you definitely need a lot more raw recordings than you think to get five sounds that sound good.
When it comes to peaceful times during drift one there is definitely one moment that sticks out during my process. This was in Estabrook park when i went down this walking trail and just sat and listened to the ambience of the park with children playing in the distance, the rolling of skateboard wheels against the old tennis court, nature at its best with birds and crickets chirping, and the most prevalent noise of the mighty Milwaukee river flowing fast below the river banks. The second peaceful moment during my walk occurred on the same trail but in a different area. I was walking slowly while stepping on these dried out leaves. They made the most crisp crunching noise, and it was so cool to listen to them crackle, crunch, and crush so clearly and detailed.
The first thing that surprised me in my drift one experience was a sound that a captured. It was a creepy tune that i had caught while drinking some water and i did not hear it until reviewing my raw material which was very cool to me and that turned out being my favorite recording. The second thing that surprised me was the sound of the drinking fountain. During my drift one i stopped at a water fountain for a drink and was still recording while doing so not really thinking anything of it. Im glad i did though because the sound of slurping the water out of thin air turned out to be a very cool distinct sound. The third and last thing that surprised me was how noisy the world really is. There is a lot of interesting sounds to capture. They are occurring at all times. I didn't notice sounds as much as i do now i find myself listening more when I'm sitting doing homework in my room or any other time of the day.
My favorite experience is one that i have already mentioned. It was the one where the creepy music was captured in between me taking drinks at the water fountain in Estabrook park. This sound was very faint and very cool to be captured. Along with the crisp sound of drinking I captured the cool creepy sound in the distance of the park. The reaction I had to this sound was surprised, because i didn't hear the creepy sound while recording but only once i reviewed my recordings did I discover it. This sound made my Drift one a more interesting and fun event for me.

No comments: