Sunday, December 7, 2008

Reading Response 3

The article that I have chosen is called Soundwalking by Hildegard Westerkamp. This article was about what a soundwalk is and the idea of critical listening. I chose this article becasue i thought it was very interesting and pertained to class alot. I liked the idea of attenative listening that he brings up. Because after starting this class this is what ifound myself doing. When sitting in my room i found myself instead of ignoring the many sounds going on everywhere around me I actually realized howloud but interesting it is to actually listen to the surrounding environment.

In the article he does a little excersize, where he has you listen to your own body, and other things, but the point of the excersize is to make you realize all the sounds that are going on that or ignored becasue they are so regular to us. Another main point made in this article was straight up listening. When I say this I mean listening for sounds, not only hearing them but recognizing them. Their ae so many sounds that go unnoticed. The term that Westerkamp uses for this is "attenitive listening." Another main point in this artcel was the idea participating with the sounds in nature, or being in dialouge with them. Such as when natives will immatate sounds made in the wild.

I believe this article is related to a media artist becasue it talks about the ideas of sound. Sound plays a major role in a media artists career. Sound is the bees knees to a video. Without it, it lacks something very important.

No comments: